Monday, June 20, 2011

Girls Camp

       I spent the last five days at Camp Lo Mia with my stake. We left on Saturday and got back on Thursday. My stake was in West Camp, which is the smallest of the three camps. The first night was Bishops Night. The Bishop from each ward gave a little talk to their ward  and provided dessert. My Bishop talked about how we should save our kisses for someone who really deserves them. After his devotional Bishop gave each of us a piece of seven layer cake. Alright so for those of you who don't know where Lo Mia is, it is near Pine, Arizona. It was pretty chilly and it got down to around forty five degrees. I was not expecting it to be anywhere near that cold so the first night was a shock! There was a very strict no prank policy this year so we went right to bed and stayed there.

The baby hat that I made
         Sunday morning flag ceremony was at six thirty in the morning so everyone was up at six, that was fun. I hadn't slept very well the night before and to make it better I had a stomach ache. Right after flag was instant choir, which was optional. I didn't go, I decided to go lay down for thirty minutes. To avoid the heat we had sacrament meeting at seven. My friend Shannon in my ward spoke and so did a girl named  Mikaela, and the concluding speaker was President Hettinger. Shannon talked about how a Kodiak bear could smell bacon from ten miles away, (later this information became very relevant). We had a little break before Young Women so I laid down at that time. Our YW lesson was on being friendly to others. We had some down time after this. Since I was  feeling better  I helped make little Father's Day presents. Later we did humanitarian aid projects. We made hygiene kits, file folder games and little baby hats for less fortunate people in other countries. The evening started with the Colors of the Wind Program. The fourth years teach the first years about the Young Women values and paint the first years faces with lines of the value colors (white, blue, red, green, orange, yellow, purple, and gold). They also sang Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas in sign language. Following the program we went back to our cabins for a little while. Then back to the grove for the next program. Women in our stake dressed up as Biblical women and told us some of their stories. At the end each ward gathered in their group and stood a few feet away from the closest ward. It was pitch black. All of a sudden one ward would turn their flashlights on and start to sing a song, and then another and another until each ward had sung their song. Most if not all were primary songs. My ward sang Scripture Power. It was probably my favorite program of all three years that I had been there. We went back to our cabin and received another devotional from the YCLs before we went to sleep.

               

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time at girls camp! :) I remember how much fun i had when I went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice from your Bishop! Remember it! The Colors of the Wind tradition sounds cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love singing trees. Gee Sam, I wanna go to camp!

    ReplyDelete